Why I LOVE the Pacific Northwest. The Pacific Northwest never ceases to amaze me. This morning, I woke up to a brief Summer rain shower that left the air smelling fresh and crisp. I love it when that happens!
Fifteen years ago, I was enticed by her majestic beauty, which made it easy to lay down roots and call Southern Oregon my permanent home. Here are just a few reasons why I love the Pacific Northwest:
- The mountains are close and beautiful
- The trees are tall, green, and simply stunning
- Wild and scenic rivers run through many towns
- There are trails and bike paths galore for hiking and biking
- The people are the friendliest folk I've ever met
- Coffee is plentiful and it's the best in the world
- There's no traffic (you can drive 30 miles in 30 min on Interstate-5)
- There's little to no wind (average wind velocity in Grants Pass, Oregon is 8)
- You never pump your own gas (it's full service for everyone and its cheaper than LA)
- DMV registrations are $86. every 2 years, no matter what kind of car you drive
- There's no sales tax in Oregon
- Property taxes are very inexpensive
- Housing is extremely affordable
Oh yeah, one more thing to note... we may get an occasional rain shower in Summer, but our rainy season in Southern Oregon is no where near the rest of the Pacific Northwest. We get approximately 20-30 inches of rain per year, usually scattered throughout Nov-Mar, and just enough to keep things green.
Now can you see why I LOVE the Pacific Northwest?